Monday, December 2, 2013

Ready to Rome!



So in just a few hours I'm boarding a plane for Italy. Rome, Italy. The real one! I'm super-pumped about it, it's a crazy time, now that I'm almost graduated - but not sure I want to graduate, or what that even means... I've decided to take myself out and really see the world. Now that's an education! And I'm ripe for it.

And it's all thanks to good old Aunt Renie. She provided me with some money, and she told me to do what I want - what I really want - with it. And I'm pretty sure it's not finish my university, because what's a philosophy degree going to get me anyway?

By the way, did you know a PhD is technically a philosophy degree? I didn't either, but now I do, and I guess, if that was the philosophy degree I was going for it would be fine, and I'd get right ahead and do it, but as it turns out, that would be years away.

And yeah, a chunk of money has come in, and that's enough for me to get some real-world experience, forget those ivory towers! Let's see some ...marble ones. And brick! And ancient Roman buildings.

I've always been fascinated by the Romans, and Julius Caesar, and of course we learn about the writings of the ancient philosophers and so on, and then, not that long ago I watched Woody Allen's terrible movie about Rome. What a waste of time!

But, the city is so beautiful, and I started dreaming about it, a lot. So now I'm making it happen.

It turns out that Uncle Rodrigue - not a real uncle, but a friend of my mom's who's a professor, is actually there, working at the american School. So I'm going to go, and see him. I emailed him a couple of days ago, like this.

Ciao Uncle Rodrigue!

I haven't seen you in so long. I hope all is good. I'm taking a break from my univeristy studies to be a student in the university of the world. My first stop is Rome, and my mom said you were there and to look you up. So I'm doing that now.

My flight arrives on 4 December, and hopefully I'll see you there. I've got some time booked in a hostel, so that's cool, and my schedule is pretty wide open, so let me know if your available to meet for an expresso!

Ciao!
Jonathan

And he replied:

Hello Jonathan,

Glad to hear you're looking out for some experience in life, I think it's a crcuical part of education, so congratulations on taking those steps. I trust your mother approves of this plan, if not, she should realize that it's always better to be proactive, rather than to sit back and think that life and love will come to you. I learned this the hard way, but with age and experience comes wisdom.

So I will be happy to meet up with you while you're here. You can come by the university anytime, and we can go for an espresso (there's no such thing as an expresso!)

I'm sure you will love it here - Roma e la citta piu bello del mondo. A presto,
R.

So yeah: it looks like it's happening! And it sounds promising. the apple doesn't fall too far from the tree, even if I'm going to Rome!  What it will be, I don't know, but it's important apparently, to be open to new experiences, and so I will make it happen and see what comes of it, hopefully something cool.

I booked a return ticket, of course, for March. We'll see if I can make it there in Rome for awhile. I don't speak Italian, though I've been studying a few phrase books and learning online. It's a complicated language I think, but so romantic, at least that's what Lana has been telling me. I thought she would be more sad that I'm leaving, but well, it doesn't seem to be the case. Still, I imagine that there is love to be waiting for me in all corners of the world, so I just need to get out there and find it.

I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment